Bev just made a quick tutorial showing you how to create some amazing Distress Oxide Ink backgrounds using plain white cardstock and makeup brushes. Yes, you read that right... she used some very inexpensive makeup brushes to blend the Oxide Inks. These backgrounds are fun to make and look awesome!
Here is Bev's video tutorial plus you'll find step-by-step instructions below so you can print them and use them later!
Step-by-step tutorial for blending Distress Oxide Ink using makeup brushes:
- Start by getting out some cardstock for your inked background. Bev cut hers to be 4" x 5.25" so it would fit on a standard A2 card while still leaving a border around the edge of the card.
- Now get out the Distress Oxide Ink colors you want to use. Bev used Salty Ocean, Broken China and Peacock Feathers for her background. Also get out your makeup brushes. (Can you believe you can get a pack of 6 of these large brushes for only $5.99 on Amazon? Here's a link to the makeup brushes that Bev shows in her video. And here is another one with 6 large brushes that may be even more useful for backgrounds.)
- Swirl the makeup brush across your first Distress Oxide Ink pad.
- Swirl off any excess ink on scratch paper.
- Then using a light, circular motion, blend the ink onto the piece of cardstock.
- In between ink colors, rub the extra ink off onto your scratch paper. Repeat this process for each color of ink.
- When you are finished, use some mild hand soap to wash your makeup brushes.
- Spritz the background with water to make it even more interesting. Once the background is dry adhere it to a standard A2 card. Add stamped and die cut flowers or cute critters. Bev used Wendell the Whale and other sea creatures from the Animal House collection. Finish your card by adding a stamped sentiment.
We hope you enjoyed today's tutorial! Is there a technique you'd like to learn more about? Leave a comment and let us know!
The Technique Tuesday Blog Team